How Long Do I Have to Work For to Collect Unemployment in Nevada?

Nevada defines an employer as having paid a minimum of $225 in any quarter of the base period.

To qualify for unemployment insurance in Nevada, your total base period earnings must be at least 1.5 times your HQW. Your HQW must be a minimum of $400, making the minimum total amount of base period earnings to be $600. Finally, you must have worked during at least two quarters of the base period.


You must have worked during a minimum of three quarters of the base period and earned an HQW of at least $400. (You do not have to multiply your HQW by 1.5 when using this method)

NV offers both an extended base period and an alternate base period. The alternate base period considers the last four completed calendar quarters of the base period (instead of the first four). The extended base period considers the last four quarters of the previous base year (BY) if one quarter has been used in a previous unemployment insurance claim. It also may be extended up to one week if there is an overlap of the same quarter in two consecutive base periods.


  • Genevieve

    Can I file for unemployment benefits if I’m out of work for 6 wks due to surgery to my right foot for bunion removal

    • No. Unemployment benefits are not paid for disability. You need to be able and available – i.e., searching for work and fit to work if a job is offered. Some states like NJ, NY, CA have state disability benefit programs for people like you. Nevada is not one of those states.

  • John

    I will be laid off for 2 weeks, yes, 2 weeks without pay, from a factory in Nevada due to a factory shutdown. I’ve worked here for over 2 years, full time.

    Am I eligible for unemployment for the 2 week lay off?

  • steve

    i had worked for 5 years for a company i got 26 weeks of unemployment benefits and i cant find a job yet and i have 2 weeks left of unemployment can i get more benefits?

    • No. You need to work again and experience another qualifying separation – and your current benefit year needs to have expired. In other words, there is no possibility of another Nevada claim/benefits for six months.

  • Jacque

    So I started working at this job full time in January 9 and just 2 days ago they let us know they are closing our department and have to let us go. I made over 4,500 in this period but only worked almost 4 months there. If my benefits will depend on what I made last year is their a way I can get these 4 months I worked there included cause last year I only worked 3 months in the beginning and about 1 month in the middle due to having a baby so I made more in this job in these 4 months than I did last year all together ( about 4,000) so how can I go about that or I just can’t and they’ll use last years earnings?

    • There isn’t any way to go about that unless you wait until July 2 to file. Benefit would be based on wages 4/1/2016-through 3/31/2017. Total wages in base period must also be at least 1.5x your high quarter. Applying in July, if you have a lot of earnings between Jan-Mar 2017 – and only a few hundred dollars between April-December 2016 – you won’t be eligible.

      Based on what you’ve posted, you may have difficulty with eligibility no matter when you apply. Both base periods show high earnings Jan-Feb. You need to have earned at least half that amount outside the high quarter in order to have benefit eligibility.

  • Nina Pepetone

    what is my base period if I started working beginning of November 2016?
    Thank you…Nina

    • Base periods are determined on the date you apply for benefits, NOT the date you begin work. Specific questions on base period and eligibility should be posted on the page for the state from which you would be claiming benefits. As stated above, there is no one size fits all on base period and earnings.

      If this is your first job and you have no other prior work history, depending on your state and its earnings requirements, the earliest you would be eligible for benefits would be in January – and that is only if you are in a state which only requires one quarter of earnings in its base period, has an alternate base period (not all states do), and your wages and/or number of weeks worked meet that state’s earning requirements.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *