Can you Collect Unemployment if you Move Out of State?

Yes If you wish to move to another state, the answer is unequivocally – yes.    There is no requirement you live in the state responsible for paying your benefits – either while collecting or when you apply.  If you are already collecting, notify the state paying your benefits of your new address and continue to claim through that state’s website as normal after you’ve moved.   

No – If you are planning to quit for the sole purpose of moving – then, no, unless your quit falls under one of the good cause reasons in your state – “trailing spouse” being the most common – wherein your spouse is moving because of job transfer or to take a new job.  However, not all states legislate trailing spouse benefits.   Of those that do, 19 states pay trailing spouse benefits with moderate restriction under the foregoing circumstances; another 16 states pay for military moves only.  The remaining 16 states have no provision for a trailing spouse benefit.

Of special note:

California:  If you are lucky enough to live in CA, there is no restriction placed on why your spouse is moving – whereas most states require it be a job transfer/opportunity.  CA recognizes spousal reconciliation, family reunification, and even  “imminent marriage.”  So, if your fiance moves for whatever reason and your marriage is very soon, you are eligible for benefits if you quit your job to join her.

Your unemployment claim will be subject to the state law where you worked, not the place where you live.  Out-of-state unemployment claims can be filed via telephone, online through the state paying your benefits.   Your state of residence is irrelevant to this process.

Because communication and transactions will come from your previous employing state, the process may take a little more time than if you were filing directly from your state of residence.

The following states offer “trailing spouse” benefits:

  1. Arkansas (any job transfer)
  2. Arizona – (compelling personal reason)
  3. California (includes Registered Domestic Partners)
  4. Colorado (any job transfer)
  5. Connecticut (military transfer only)
  6. Delaware (any job transfer)
  7. Florida (military transfer only)
  8. Georgia (military transfer only)
  9. Hawaii (any job transfer)
  10. Illinois (any job transfer)
  11. Indiana (any job transfer)
  12. Kansas (any job transfer)
  13. Kentucky (military transfer only)
  14. Maine (any job transfer);
  15. Maryland (military transfer only)
  16. Massachusetts (military only)
  17. Michigan (military transfer only)
  18. Minnesota (any job transfer)
  19. Montana (military transfer only)
  20. Nebraska (any job transfer)
  21. Nevada (military transfer only)
  22. New Hampshire (any job transfer)
  23. New Jersey (military transfer only)
  24. New Mexico (military transfer only)
  25. New York (any job transfer)
  26. North Carolina (military transfer only)
  27. Oklahoma (any job transfer)
  28. Rhode Island (any job transfer)
  29. South Carolina – compelling family circumstances (trailing spouse)/military transfer
  30. South Dakota (military transfer only)
  31. Tennessee (military transfer only)
  32. Texas (military transfer only)
  33. Virginia (military transfer only)
  34. Virgin Islands (any job transfer)
  35. Washington (any job transfer)
  36. Wisconsin (active duty military only)
  37. Wyoming (military transfer only)

You were fired and you moved out of state

Now let’s look at your unique situation. The focus here will be the fact that you were fired. Since all states are members of the Interstate Reciprocal Benefit Payment Plan, it doesn’t matter if you move out of state, as long as you qualify for the benefits under state law (the state you moved from), you’ll receive your checks.

In order to receive unemployment benefits after being fired and moving, the fired part must meet the conditions we described in section No. 1, which is to say that you were fired because of cutbacks, because you didn’t fit the job role, or for minor misconduct.

Qualifying Case

An example case of an employee qualified to receive unemployment benefits after being fired and moving out of state would be the following:

Your company was acquired by a bigger entity and your position no longer fulfills a new manager’s vision, so you were let go. You’ve been trying to find a new job, but haven’t had any luck, so you move out of state to up your opportunities. In this case, you can apply for unemployment benefits from the state you were let go from and will qualify because you were fired through no fault of your own and while an interstate claim will take a little longer, you still qualify under federal law for at least 26 weeks of unemployment benefits.


-“State Unemployment Insurance Benefits.” , Employment & Training Administration (ETA). <>.
-“Voluntary Quit VQ 235.” – Health and Safety Considerations. <>


  • NF

    While on maternity leave in Washington state, my husband’s job transferred out of state, to Texas. After notifying my work, I was informed I will no longer be able to work remotely for the company and have been asked to resign upon returning from maternity leave. What do I need to do to leave the company to ensure I am eligible to claim unemployeement benefits?

    • Assemble a paper trail on your employer’s refusal to employ you remotely and request for your resignation. Then you submit a letter to your employer stating that you are resigning because your husband has moved to TX and your employer cannot employ you at your new location. Then apply for benefits. You shouldn’t have any problem.

  • Michelle

    My husband was injured on the job over a year ago in OR. They released him back to work but he can’t physically do his prior job. They cut off his work comp payments retro to when they say he became medically stationary. We want to move out of state closer to family. Can he get unemployment now?

    • He first needs to ask employer for an accommodation for his limitations/medical disability. If they cannot do that, then he needs to officially quit for medical reasons and get the claim approved. He will also need to prove he is fit to do some work, just not the work he had been doing. THEN you move.

  • Audra

    I currently work in California and I am going to have to have my mom come live with me for care. Due to the rising home costs, I had no choice but to buy a home in Oregon. I can do my job remotely from Oregon, but my employer is refusing to allow this stating they have no insurance coverage so that I could do this. Meaning .. I will be without a job. Would I be able to qualify for unemployment?

  • Alyson

    I was laid off in 2016 in New York City. I exhausted my unemployment benefits there. My partner and I decided to move to Ohio for a better quality of life. I figured I would find a position quickly, but I haven’t found one in two months. Can I apply for unemployment benefits in Ohio?

  • A.B.

    I am a teacher on an annual contract. My contract ended and decided to not sign another annual contract and trail my spouse to CA from VA. Am eligible for benefits while I seek out a new position?

  • Christina

    Hi I mostly work in NY state as an actor. (pretty steadily) After my last job finished I used some of the weeks I had on an old claim and that benefit year just ended, I am relocating to California to look for work out there. I just opened a new NY unemployment claim. Can I still claim my benefits from California? I am actively available and looking for work there.

  • Loretta Helean

    I have been employed in Illinois for almost two years with the same doctor. They have recently let me know that the practice will be closing, but they don’t know when. They have fired all employees except me and the receptionist. They have begun to cut my hours. I don’t want to stay in Illinois, my husband and myself have decided to move to Arizona to live a better life. My boss has told me that she will not fight unemployment for me but I have seen her fight it for all the other employees that she promised it to. I’m unsure of what I can do or my rights as I have never collected unemployment. Any advice would be much appreciated..

    • The one sure way to collect benefits is to work for this employer until she closes her doors or discharges you. DO NOT QUIT. If your hours are cut substantially, file a claim with Illinois for partial unemployment benefits before discharge. Continue to work for this person and claim partial benefits until she closes her doors and discharges you.

      In Illinois, your weekly benefit is about 47% of your gross earnings. If you earn $500/wk, your benefit will be $235. When you work part-time, Illinois increases that benefit by 50%, providing a partial benefit of $352.50 from which it will deduct your gross part-time earnings and pay the difference. So, if your hours are cut in half and you earn $250, IL will pay you a partial benefit of $102.00. It will be much harder for her to contest unemployment benefits if you are still in her employ. After she closes her doors and you lose your job, she can’t accuse you of misconduct.

      When the job ends, you are then eligible for full IL unemployment benefits and can move to wherever you wish. IL will investigate this “discharge” so benefits may be suspended for several weeks.

      You notify IL of your new address before you move. You continue to search for work at your new location and claim benefits through Illinois until you find a new job. If you can’t perform work searches while you are moving, stop claiming. Call Illinois to reopen the claim when you are settled and again able to search for work.

  • Deborah D

    My husband separated from the Navy after 6 years as of June 26, 2017. We were living in Georgia; he accepted a job in the DC area where we want to settle down due to our families being in the area. Anyway, he started his new job on June 19, 2017 and I stayed in Georgia for a little while after to get things in order. My last day at my job in Georgia was June 23, 2017. Now that I’m living in DC, I’m wondering if I’m eligible for unemployment. Georgia is a military spouse only state in terms of a trailing spouse. My question is, do I still qualify if my husband separated from the military and moved for a civilian job? He has separation orders and the Navy moved us back to DC because that’s where he enlisted. I’ve called and left messages with Georgia’s Dept of Labor and finally got an email from them saying they could not tell me if I’m eligible, I need to apply and wait for an answer. I’m confused on how to do this since I’m in DC. Do I go to the DC emplyoment office? That’s what I’m planning to do tomorrow. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!

  • Aly

    Hi, I currently work in CA, in a very hostile environment and often times unsafe. If I quit my job I plan on moving to SC– However, I am concerned I will not be able to find a job. Would I qualify through CA in case I do not find a job? Could I file a claim?

  • Jessica

    My fiance and I are looking to move to TX from OR to care for a sick relative. We have both been at our employers for 5-10yrs but are unable to relocate due to corporate vs. franchise ownership. Would be qualify for unemployment while we seek out new job/living situation?

    • One of you may have eligibility in Oregon on the basis of quitting because of the illness or disability of immediate family member. Know that whomever is granted benefits will still need to prove to OR their availability to search for and accept work at your new home. The quit may be for good cause, but benefits will not paid if caring for the ill family member precludes work. The fiance who follows is ineligible. If you can marry before quitting, that picture should change.

  • AJ

    I have been working in NY for 4 yrs for the same company. I am planning to give notice at work because we are relocating to FL. My husband lost his job in NY and found another job opportunity in FL. Would I be able to get NY benefits even though am quitting? If so, would I have to provide information of my husband new job? He is not starring until August, but we are moving now in order to find a place to leave and register the kids school since everything starts there earlier,

    • NY would pay benefits to in your circumstances, but you may be quitting and moving too soon, depending on when in August the new job begins. You can apply, of course, but generally your move should take place only a week or two prior to his beginning the new job. Apply, of course. NY will want evidence of husband’s employment in FL.

  • Michelle

    I was working full time for a year and half with a company in the State of West Virginia. My husband applied for a different position within the the company that he currently works for. He was offered the position , accepted and we have now relocated to Wisconsin. Am I able to apply for unemployment? Do I file the unemployment thru West Virginia?

    • You don’t qualify for benefits in either state. WV will only pay for military moves, only. You don’t qualify in WI because you haven’t worked there. Even if you did, WI restricts trailing spouse military transfers, as well.

  • Kyle Matthews

    I just lost my job in Florida and am considering moving back to my home state of New Jersey. Can I collect unemployment in New Jersey? And if so how would I need to do that? Would I need to show proof of residence in New Jersey? What other steps would I need to take as I would likely be back and forth between Florida and NJ during the beginning stages of my move.

    I’ll add that I worked in New Jersey for 10 years before moving to Florida 3 years ago with the same company. So I have paid into unemployment there in the past.

    • Unless your NJ employer has been reporting your wages to NJ and paying UI taxes on those wages to NJ, you will not be eligible for NJ benefits as none of those wages will appear in NJ’s database. Benefits are generally paid by the state in which they are earned except in some reciprocal circumstances.

      Certainly, apply in NJ first to see if they have a record of your wages. Otherwise, with a three-year work history in FL, you are eligible for FL benefits which are horrible in comparison to NJ. $275/wk for 13 weeks v. $677/wk for 26 weeks. I hope you qualify in NJ, but unless your employer wasn’t concerned by cost of UI tax and unemployment benefits and continued to report wages and pay UI tax to NJ, chances are you don’t.

  • Tia

    Hi. I live in NJ but my fiance lives in NC. I plan to move to NC in the near future so that we can be together and thereafter get married. Ive been with my employer over 10 years and am unable to transfer due to my employer not being in the state of NC at all, so i will resign from the company. Under this circumstance, would i be eligible for unemployment? Please advise.

    • You are not eligible because NJ pays benefits only to spouses of military transferees. Fiances don’t count in any state – except in CA if you can prove an imminent marriage – like in weeks. In your case, this is not a military transfer so even if you were married there would be no benefits.

  • Priscilla

    Hi’ my husband worked for a company in california remotely we were living in new jersey for about a year we then moved to florida for about two years while he still worked remotely for this same company , he traveled back and fourth to california where his company is based out of san Franisco. He recently got laid off about two months ago and has been looking for work. He just filed for unemployment in florida where we live , but i told him i think he should have filed with california where his company is – or possibly new jersey where he lived when he started working with them. What should he do? Especially since he started to file with florida – he has not recieved a first check yet from ue thanx.

    • The state to which employer reported the wages and paid UI tax is the state which will pay unemployment benefits. FL is the WORST state in amount ($275) and length (13 wks) – compared to CA which pays $450 for 26 weeks and NJ which pays up to $677 for 26 weeks. NJ is out, however, because two years is long past any base period used now.

      If you’re lucky, FL will deny the claim and you can refile in CA. Try to get through to FL on phone to determine where they are in processing this claim. If they show no wages for you, they should be able to tell you that now at which point you tell FL to withdraw the claim. Hubby should then ask employer where it has been reporting his wages and paying UI tax. That is the state in which he should file.

      At this point CA will examine wages Jan-Dec. 2016. If you file in July, base period will be April 1, 2016-March 30, 2017.

  • Chris

    I live in Indiana and have been employed full time the last year and a half. I’m getting married to my fiance who resides in Nevada and am planning on relocating there as his job pays more. Am I eligible to collect in Indiana and if so should we get married here in Indiana before I quit my job? Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my qyestion.

  • Donna Ashlock

    I am being laid off sept 1 in colorado. I can not afford to live in CO so I want to find a job in another state (MI, TX, OH, or CA). Can I file unemployment while searching for jobs in these states and what state do I file? I am planning on staying in each state for 2-4 weeks (3 month process) to look for work before moving to TX until I find work.

    • Yes. When you lose your CO job, you file for benefits in CO. You are free to collect these benefits no matter where in the US you live or search for a job. Just notify CO of your address changes as they occur. Keep filing through CO.

      • B R

        I am currently living in California. My situation is very complicated and I was wondering if I would be eligible for unemployment. I have a job but it is a commission job and I am not making enough to support myself and my child. We do not have a place of our own and are unable to afford any place at all really. We are living with family but they do not have room for us and we have to move. My cousin has opened her home to us in Texas and I am planning on moving in July. I tried to apply for a job with my current company but was unable to get the job unless I was I the state to go through their testing. I have to move or my son and I will be living in my car. Would this be a situation that I would get unemployment?

  • Marie


    I planned a move to NC from PA over 3 months ago. I had a discussion with my employer who agreed to let me work from home once I got to NC. I have two papers from my employer stating that I will work from home and future employment is great. Since arriving to NC, my employer cut my pay almost in half and informed me that I will no longer have a job or pay after July 14.
    Can I collect UB from PA?

    Thank you

    • Yes, absolutely. Employer severing the employment contract should not present issue – provided you have a solid work history April 2016-Mar 2017 which is the base period PA will use when you apply in July. PA requires that 37% of your wages be earned outside your high quarter in the above timeframe.

  • I lived in MD for the past 9 years but recently I moved back home to NC. I have worked for the same company in MD for the past 9 years and now currently work from home in NC for that company. My question is if they would ask me to come back to MD and work in the office for any reason and I am not able to move back there would I be eligible for unemployment benefits?

    • Yes. Impractical commute is considered good cause to refuse the work. Know that NC’s max benefit is only $350 for 13 weeks vs. MD’s $430/wk for 26 weeks. Depending on when you are laid off, you may qualify for benefits from both MD and then NC. You would apply in MD first. If MD no longer shows wages, then apply in NC – ask for a combined-wage claim.

  • Bonnie

    Ny husband accepted a job transfer to NY from NH, I currently work part time for a non profit company and paid thru a temp agency for the past 2 years. Am I entitled to unemployment benefits? Thank you

  • Mary


    I moved out of California to Florida. Was there for 8 months. Things didn’t work out. So I wanted to come back home to California. I was working here before I left to go to Florida and was working in Florida before I left to come home. It has been 4 months and I can not find work. Am I eligible for unemployment benefits?

    • You need to have lost your jobs through no fault of your own – i.e., layoff discharge – or have quit for good cause (personal illness, employer misrepresentation, material change in employment contract, hostile work environment). Moving just because you want to live in another state or things aren’t working out is not good cause. Based on your post, absent other qualifying reasons, you are not entitled to benefits from either state.

  • Rocio Calderon

    I plan to move to Florida from Texas due to my father having complications with his health and I currently lost my mother a couple of years ago, my contract with the school district ends the end of June, will I be able to file for unemployment while I look for a job in Florida?

    • You may be able to qualify in Texas if you can provide convincing evidence that you quit because of illness or disability of immediate family member. You would also need to provide assurances that you will be able and available to search for and accept work in your new location.

  • Lynette

    I recently moved from Arizona to California. Corporate office is in Maine and they have been paying Arizona for UI. Now that I am in California they should pay California. If my job ends in 3 months can I file for UI from the state of California?

  • Jen

    My husband was offered a job in NY and we are relocating there from SD. Also his family is there and we will have help from the family with our special needs children. So even more reason to go. It looks to me like SD doesn’t honor trailing spouse? Or am I confused with outdated material? Please help. Need to know if I can file for having to quit to move with my family.

    • South Dakota does not recognize trailing spouse except in the case of a military transfer.

    • Chuck

      My wife and I were both laid off from the same company in Texas. We were both drawing UB. I landed a job in another state and once I started work, I dropped my bi-weekly UB claims. My wife and son have moved to the same state I’m now employed in. Can she continue to collect UB from Texas or not? I am NOT in the military, btw.

      • Yes, she can continue to collect her Texas benefits through the TX claiming process as she has been doing. She needs to notify TX of her new address, however. She needs to perform work searches in your new location, of course.

  • I am moving California. My new job doesn’t start until about july 3rd. I am quitting my job and i have a new job lined up but it will take about 4 days to get to North Carolina to move my family. We have a house waiting so we have a new address already. I had to resign from my job so we can move. Since we are moving and I now have quit my job am I able to collect unemployment until I start getting paid?

    • No. You initiated the separation. The time between jobs remains ineligible for benefits unless you can show good cause reason for the quit – i.e., employer misrepresentation, wages not paid, hostile work environment, material change to your employment contract. Read this:

      Further, your wife has already asked if she is eligible for trailing spouse benefits. Yes, she can collect because she is following you to NC. She needs to conduct work searches and be available to work for each week claimed. If she is unable to do that while moving, she should not claim that moving week.

      You, yourself, cannot collect for the time between jobs. You need good cause to have quit the CA job as discussed above.

  • Darryl

    I am in the process of relocating from Texas to Georgia. I was working a part time job in Texas working 20 hours a week when I was offered a job making more money and is a full-time position. I did resign for the other position specifically for a better position. During the relocation period are I’m eligible to draw unemployment doing that period. I was receiving part unemployment already.

    • No. You can certify for those weeks, of course, but TX will stop your benefits to investigate why you are no longer reporting earnings when you claim. Not working because you are moving is a personal situation unrelated to your current job. Texas will not approve payment.

  • Ben

    I am leaving my job in Illinois to re kindle my relationship with my ex-wife who currently resides in California with my two young children. Would I be able to collect unemployment benefits while I look for work in California?

    • You are ineligible in CA because you never worked in CA and don’t have any wages in CA to support an unemployment claim. You need to apply in Illinois. Trailing spouse is normally paid when one spouse moves because of the other spouse’s job transfer. The length of time you’ve been separated may present a problem for Illinois. But, absolutely apply – nothing is lost by trying.

  • Demetria Brown

    I am a military spouse and I am employed in the state of North Dakota. We have orders to move in July to Delaware so I have to quit my job. North Dakota doesn’t off unemployment if you have to quit your job due to being a military spouse. So can I apply for unemployment in Delaware?

  • Serena

    Question: I am currently living in San Francisco, and have been paying into unemployment in CA for years. I was recently laid off and may need to move out of state to live with my parents temporarily because of the high cost of rent here. They live in Pennsylvania. Am I eligible to continue receiving CA unemployment?

    The information on the web is confusing. The PA site says that I can file Interstate if I worked in PA and moved to CA. But the CA site says I file Interstate if I moved from NY and moved to CA, which is the exact opposite.

    Also, will I be eligible to collect if I am looking for a job out of state? I am starting to look in PA since I’m going to have to move soon.


    • Yes, you are eligible to continue receiving CA unemployment benefits if you move and search for work in your new location. As stated at the top of this page, you are not required to remain in the state paying your benefits. You notify CA of your change of address, move to PA, and continue to claim through the CA website, as normal. Absolutely nothing changes. When you certify weekly, list your PA job searches. Forget the term “interstate.” It is meaningless, generally.

  • Mrs. J

    My family relocated to NC from NJ to be. Loser to my mother in law who has health issues. Prior to relocating I asked my supervisor and director if I can work from home out of state and my request was denied. I did work here in NC but currently I am not. Will I be denied for unemployment benefits for New Jersey. I did receive the form with the calculations because I did file but Inhave an interview scheduled tomorrow.

  • Kadie Maranto

    We are relocating to Washington state. I have just put in my notice to my employer. My boyfriend has a job waiting for him up there. Is it possible for me to collect unemployment up there till we find a day care for our 2 children.

    • No. You never worked in WA, there are no wages to support a claim. Further, with the exception of CA – and only if you have an imminent marriage – no state pays benefits for a boyfriend/girlfriend move. Those benefits are only paid to spouses.

  • Frankie

    My husband has a new job on east coast we are moving from California i will have to quit my job to move will i be able to file for unemployment or recieve unemployment sinnce there are no companies i can transfer to?

  • Kimberly

    I used to live in NY, but quit my job because my spouse’s company was relocating him to CA. I found a job in CA, but quit due to my boss not paying overtime wages correctly and poor working conditions. Can I collect unemployment in NY if I have enough wages to collect from? I am trying to collect unemployment in NY even though I quit my job in CA.

    • Yes, but NY will approve the claim only if it finds you have good cause for the quit in CA. Not paying overtime wages is your best grounds. NY will send you a questionnaire on why you quit the CA job. Provide evidence of unpaid wages. Hopefully you made some effort to get your employer to correct that problem before you quit and can provide evidence of that. Poor working conditions, unless you have concrete proof they were hazardous, will be more difficult to prove.

      • Kimberly

        I opened an unemployment claim in NY and they initially sent me a questionnaire on my CA job, but I just received a questionnaire on my NY job. Would I have to prove that I quit my NY job for a good cause as well? I was still working at the the NY job within the last 12 months.

        • NY investigates all separations going back 18 months. If you quit the NY job without good cause, NY will require you perform 3 days work in each of 5 weeks and 5 x WBA. Assuming in NY you qualify for $430 weekly benefit, you would need to have earned at least $2,150 subsequent to that quit. If you earned that in CA, you have purged that penalty. NY will want proof of earnings.

  • Mike

    Hi, I currently reside in NY, my wife voluntarily requested to be transferred to Florida with her job due to family (elderly parents). When I quit, will I qualify for UE benefits under ‘trailing spouse’?

    And her transfer date will be 9/1. If I do qualify, would I be able to quit early to pack up? Say 30-60 days before? And what proof, if any would we need to provide?

    I tried calling the UE office but couldn’t get a live person.

    Thank you!

    • Yes, you qualify. NY pays benefits for any job transfer. Have you asked your employer if you can work remotely for them? NY may want proof that you made an effort to preserve the employment relationship.

      No, you cannot quit early. NY might let you get by with two-three days, possibly a week before the move, but no longer. Generally, it is recommended you do not quit until you actually move.

      • Mike

        Thank you so much! This definitely will help…just for peace of mind. Hopefully I’ll have a job right away but knowing this is available is HUGE.

        My wife was worried because she voluntarily requested and we weren’t sure. But I definitely intended to request to work remotely anyway, as it’s ideal.

        • When you apply for benefits, keep it very simple. Your wife’s employer transferred her. No need to get into she requested the transfer and why. Under the law, it shouldn’t matter, but it is never wise to muddy the waters with irrelevant information.

  • Michelle

    My husband is on disability and we are relocating to South Carolina from Massachusetts to give him a better quality of life. I quit my job from a school system as a secretary, will I be able to collect unemployment in South Carolina?

    • You have no wages in SC; SC cannot pay benefits. Your wages are in MA; you apply in MA. You are a trailing spouse. MA pays trailing spouse benefits for military families only.

      That said, you can attempt to apply for benefits through MA on the basis of personal/compelling family circumstances in the hope MA would approve the claim (1) if you can prove your husband must be in SC for medical reasons and (2) you are quitting to care for him, and (3) once there you will be in a position to search for and accept work. However, there is nothing in MA’s code which explicitly makes an exception for this situation. As a matter of fact, MA is very explicit that the only grounds for a personal good cause quit are to (1) accept better employment, (2) compulsory retirement, (3) sexual harassment, (4) your own illness.

      That said, absolutely apply – you lose nothing by trying. MA has a high benefit and will pay for 30 weeks – which is four weeks longer than the average. The term “personal leaving for family illness” is subject to interpretation. You may need to appeal to get a proper examination of your case. The fact that you’re moving will be your biggest hurdle. Again, you need to show compelling medical evidence for this move.

      Expect to wait at least ten weeks for an initial approval/denial. MA is very, very slow to process claims which have issues. Should you run into a lengthy delay, write your MA elected state representative. Find yours, here:

      If you are denied and need to appeal, add another six weeks to the above timeframe.

  • Danielle

    I have a question. I just filed for unemployment (temporary I’ll start back up on August 17th I work at a headstart) I live in Oklahoma and want to go visit my family in New York for a month. Would I still be able to collect unemployment if I go?

    • You can visit your family. However, in order to claim benefits, you still need to be searching for and available for work for each week you claim. If you can’t do that, stop claiming until you get home. In some states, work searches are waived if you have a fixed return-to-work date. Call OK to ask if a waiver is possible in your situation.

  • Andrea

    My husband is taking a job in Washington with a substantial increase in salary. I will have to relocate and quit my job. Is there a specific way I need to write my resignation so that I can receive unemployment benefits from the state of California?

  • Alyssa

    Hi, I’ve worked in California(my first job ever) for two years and eight months. I quit my job due to a lot of circumstances(my grandma in MT is sick and where I was living with another family member house might be condemned for no water so I needed somewhere to go but didn’t make enough for my own place.) would I be able to qualify for unemployment until I find another job in MT. I was currently working at a McDonald’s.

    • Probably not. Yours are personal circumstances not attributable to employer. However, apply for benefits anyway. Cite loss of housing and compelling family circumstances. It’s possible MT may find a way to approve you.

  • Christopher

    I worked for over a year in Arizona, due to my roommate not paying bills rent wasn’t paid and my wife (9months preg) 3 year old and myself were homeless. Her family helped us get up to Oregon but I had to quit my job to do so ( still put in and followed thru with my 2weeks) do I qualify for unemployment or no?

    • Your best hope in AZ to justify the quit is compelling family circumstances due to loss of housing. AZ will never approve a claim initially under your circumstances, without first requiring you return to work and earn 5 x your weekly benefit amount. You may have a chance on appeal. Try to find some work in Oregon – AZ won’t be paying benefits anytime soon. That said, the maximum AZ benefit is $275/wk.

  • Bob C.

    In July of 2016, I left a job at a university in North Carolina, where my wife and I both worked, for a better job at a university in Alabama. My wife left her job three months later in October. I have read all sorts of contradictory information about trailing spouse benefits in North Carolina. Does she qualify for unemployment?

    Before quitting, she was also going through some issues with unfair treatment based on a medical disability. She had spoken to HR, supervisors, Ombudsman, Office of Disability Services and Equity Office, all to no avail. She opted to leave of her own accord rather than being fired. In terms of future employment, we both thought it would look better for her to leave in order to join me rather than stay and risk getting fired. Might this qualify her for unemployment?

  • Kkll

    I live in NY the past 3 years, I got laid off last week. I planing to move back to MA where I’m from. Can I still collect unemployment in NY if I move back to MA? unemployment requires the weekly work search log and and an appointment to unemployment class. How can I go to the unemployment meetings and look for job when I’m not in NY?

  • Cynthia

    My fiance and are getting married at the end of May 2017. I will be leaving my job and moving from PA to Ohio where he already lives. Would I qualify for unemployment, since he already lives there and has a job? If I do qualify, which state would I apply in? Thank you for any information…

    • You have no wages in Ohio, Ohio cannot pay your benefits.

      If you are married at the time you quit, PA should grant benefits. Per PA, quitting to follow a spouse is only allowable if reason for move was beyond spouse’s control and there were insurmountable economic circumstances. Generally, the states stipulate “job transfer.” In this case, your (future) husband accepted another job in a state which was beyond your control and makes it economically unfeasible for you to remain in PA.

  • Tim

    I’ve been in Montana for almost 11 months and got paid off from my job. I am moving back to California to pursue getting my old job back. Which state would I apply for unemployment in?

    • Depends on wages in your base period at the time you apply. You have the opportunity for back-to-back claims in both states. Chances are, at this time, your benefit in CA will be higher.

      If you apply in California now, California will examine wages Jan-Dec.2016. If you have one or two quarters of wages in CA during that time, you are eligible for a claim there, probably a full 26 weeks. California discusses how it calculates benefits, here:

      By applying in CA first, you will then have almost an entire year’s wages in Montana base period at the time you apply this December or thereabouts should you exhaust the CA claim and remain unemployed.

      In December, Montana will look at wages July 1, 2016-June 30, 2017. Montana calculates weekly benefits benefits at 1% of total base period wages not to exceed $487.

  • NRG

    My husband accepted a position in NV; consequently, I will have to quit my job in PA to reunite. Will I be eligible for unemployment to help until I settle in NV and find a new job?

    • Per PA, quitting to follow a spouse is only allowable if reason for move was beyond spouse’s control and there were insurmountable economic circumstances. Generally, the states stipulate “job transfer.” In this case, your husband accepted another job in a state which was beyond your control and makes it economically unfeasible for you to remain in PA. Apply for benefits. You should be eligible.

  • Joe D

    I am moving to Texas due to cost of living issues in NY. I will be living with my sister. Am I eligible for unemployment and if so, which state? Thank you.

    • You apply in NY. NY will pay for a existing job transfer – not to seek new employment – or that you could no longer afford to live in NY. Don’t expect benefits in your circumstances. You have no earnings in TX, therefore no standing in TX. That said, TX will never pay benefits in circumstances like yours.

  • I am resigning from work due to the toxic environment. There are 3 owner which 2 are ok and the 3 resort to verbal attacks and yelling. I initially made my decision to resign due to the unprofeasionalism in the office but was then offered to work from home. Since another episode occurred and for the sake of my health I can’t take it. I am unsure if I would file with California based on my husband decision to move back to Arizona due to his inability to find work in California or file due to work conditions or do I file due to all.

    • Neither is a winner given employer has offered you a work-at-home position. If your employer has offered you a work-at-home position, CA definitely will not pay trailing spouse because of the move. You can try toxic work environment – which CA will initially deny based on you are no longer in that environment if you work at home, although you have chance of winning on appeal if you can present a convincing case. CA ALJs are very claimant-friendly.

  • Jcperry

    My spouse is in the airforce we are currently stationed in Hawaii and will be stationed in Virginia . Do I apply for benefits in Hawaii or Virginia. I’m currently employed if I can’t get a transfer with current employer . How soon should I quit and how long is the process to start receiving benefits? Mahalo

    • You file in the state where you worked and where you earned wages. You quit no earlier than a few days before the move. You can apply at that time or after you’ve moved. It takes about four weeks before Hawaii will be in a position to pay benefits.

  • Crystal

    Hello, My fiance and I lived in Oregon and in February he took a Bettering Job in the state of Colorado. If i cant find employment before I move Can i collect unemployment even though were not married yet?

  • Lynne

    My husband quit his job so we could move from Washington to Florida for more sun. He has worked in Florida for 6 months, but may be getting laid off soon. Can he file in Washington if he loses his job in Florida since they pay more?

  • J White

    I recently moved from Oklahoma from California to care for an elderly relative with a heart condition. What information do I need to provide for my upcoming phone interview.

    Thank you!

  • Emma Canning

    Good morning. I live in Maine and my job is being eliminated in June. Do I need to stay in ME for a specific amount of time?

    • No. There is no requirement you live or remain living in the state paying your benefits. You could even move, and apply for ME benefits after you’ve moved. Your work history is in ME, your benefits are paid by ME. It matters not where you live in the US – either when you apply or submit weekly claims for benefits.

  • Bill Hartsfield

    Hi there!

    My wife got a new job so I had to quit my job (in NC) to move (to CA). NC does NOT have trailing spouse laws. I have been in CA for 6 months and haven’t found work. Is there anything I can do? (unemployment wise)

  • Pamela L.

    I have worked for the VA for 3 years. First in Arkansas and then in Arizona. My husband who also worked there was fired while on FMLA. It took weeks upon weeks for his unemployment to be processed. In the mean time our bills were steadily increasing. We decided it would be best to move back to Arkansas and live with relatives until we could reestablish ourselves. I resigned from my position. We were in AZ almost a year. Which state do I apply for benefits? Can I do a combined claim? Oh also, I worked for 2 different branches of the VA while I was in AZ.

  • Sabrina

    If I am a resident of MN, but I accepted an Americorps summer job in OR, would I be able to collect unemployment during the lapses of time I’m not in the field? Would I do this through the state of Oregon or Minnesota?


    • You apply in Oregon. You need to have wages appearing in at least two quarters of your base period (10/1/2016-9/30/2017) or, in the alternative, have worked at least 500 hours. The earliest you should apply would be October 1 or later in order for OR to capture wages through 9/30/2017. Number of weeks benefits depends on earnings in your base period, not to exceed 26 weeks benefits. Chances are your earnings will qualify for less than 26 weeks.

  • Brian

    I will be honorably discharged from the military in a few months and I’m planning to move to Washington. I am stationed in Virginia but I pay taxes to Connecticut. Would I file in Washington after I move, Virginia where I’ve been living then move, or Connecticut Before I move?

    • You apply in Washington after you move. Its maximum benefit of $691 is much higher than the other two states. As you may know, military people have a choice on where to apply – state you actually reside in (this will be Washington), the state where you were discharged, or the state listed as your home state when you enlisted. Be sure you have no intervening employment. Your last employer must be the military.

      • harry

        sir are you sure about this because i was trying to apply for washington unemployment, it says you are not eligible to apply to washington since you are not physcially in Washington. I worked there at fort lewis washington as RA and honorable discharge.

        • When were you discharged and how long after that did you apply? I’ve never heard of a state requiring you physically be in that state when application is made – especially if the base had been located in that state – although that is what this implies:

          That decision was wrong and should have been appealed. Being discharged from a base in that state should be sufficient. WA may have intended that “rule” to apply to those returning “home” or moving to the state after discharge, but surely not for those discharged from a base located in WA. You might have prevailed on appeal on this issue. Otherwise, return to the state, make application, and then leave.

          You could have also written the state rep for your district where the base was located for help if WA was being stubborn – actually stupid – on this. Often initial denials are knee-jerk, made by people not familiar with the nuances of the law.

  • FN

    I worked remotely from FL for a company in NY when I was let go. Do I still qualify for unemployment from NY since that is where my company was located even though I live in FL?

    • Depends on where your employer paid UI tax for your wages. Apply in NY, first. If you’re lucky, your employer reported your wages to NY. The benefit is much better – maximum $420/wk for 26 weeks.

      If NY shows no income for you, then apply in FL. FL pays $275/wk for 13 weeks.

  • Mike

    I moved out of California to Oregon in mid January 2017. I have been working with a company for over 5 years and the company is in trouble, part of the reason I moved to Oregon (had option here to live in a home wth family in order to avoid signing a new lease). I might be let go soon or in 2-3 months due to company folding. What are my options and best way to prepare, etc please? Can I file for unemployment in California no matter when I get let go if that occurs since I worked there for so long even though I am now in Oregon?

    • Because of your work history, you have the opportunity of two back-to-back claims. If you are uncertain on your future employment prospects, because you have work history in both states, apply in California first. Your work history will provide a 26-week claim. When that is exhausted, you then apply in Oregon.

      FYI – Oregon pays a higher benefit ($590) than California ($450). If you prefer a possibly higher benefit than the possibility of two claims, when you are discharged, apply in Oregon first, ask for a combined-wage claim with your California earnings.

      Either way, you should be fine.

  • Jen B

    I am a military spouse and live and work in VA. However my home state is PA and that is where I pay state taxes. We are relocating to MO. Which state do I actually file in?

    • If your husband has orders to move to MO, VA will pay trailing spouse benefits. You earned your wages in VA, you are quitting a VA job because of your husband’s military transfer, you file in Virginia.

  • V

    I travel quite the distance to get to my current employer, and when I initially started the position I was making more money than what I am making now from paid bonuses, I am not getting bonuses any longer and making the commute to work is almost becoming unrealistic due to severe financial hardship. I have asked them to repeatedly transfer me but they are saying that they will not transfer me since the location I’m working at isn’t performing very well and they want me to stay to turn the state of the business around. But the goes totally against my financial well being. They said that I can resign and reapply at the locations nearest to my current residence. Can I resign and qualify for unemployment due to severe financial hardship? I am not able to afford getting to work any longer.

    I am in California

    • “Can I resign and qualify for unemployment due to severe financial hardship? “

      You can if you can prove it. CA outlines its guidelines, here:

      CA is generally claimant-friendly. However, in a subjective issue such as this, you may first experience a denial and need to appeal to get benefits, as the initial interviewers are not given much latitude. Questionable issues are always denied and left for the appeals court to sort out. More than 50% of CA denials are overturned on appeal, so it always pays to appeal in CA. The entire process can take two months.

      • Ericka

        If my spouse and i moved from CA for a job i landed but my job fell thru at the last minute after we relocated to Oregon am i able to claim unemployment based on those terms? Would it be better to claim that i left my job in CA to follow my spouse to Oregon and not mention the rescinded job offer at all? My spouse is working remotely in Oregon in the same position he had in CA, can argue that a remote office is being developed/tested.

        • You actually quit the job because of the Oregon offer. When your employer is queried, he is going to say you got another job offer, not that you quit to follow your husband. Under CA law, the offer of other employment justifies the quit. Therefore, there is no point in conflating timelines and possibly getting caught in a misrepresentation.

          Apply in CA on the basis of the quit b/c of a job offer which was later rescinded. You will need to provide evidence of this offer. California case precedent, here:

          In P-B-277, the claimant was a full-charge bookkeeper for a theater chain for five weeks. She was interviewed by the senior partner of the law firm; after a second interview, she was told she was hired……could plan to start February 16. The claimant gave a week’s notice to her employer, and left the employment on February 15. ……..they could not immediately employ her, and suggested she find other employment until she could be hired.

          In discussing the theory of good cause in leaving one job for another, the Board examined cases from other states, and found “[p]ractically without exception the rulings have been that the leaving is with good cause.” The Board then went on to explain:

          The underlying theory in these cases seems to be that the claimant has done all that he could do to assure himself of continuous employment; he left his work only because he had definite assurance that he was to have new permanent employment, and his subsequent unemployment was attributable solely to the new employer’s failure to provide the promised employment.

          We agree with the principle set forth in these decisions and we conclude that the claimant in the present case had good cause for leaving his work.

          Read the entire link. If, you are denied for any reason – because sometimes interviewers do get confused – you will win benefits at appeal, without a doubt. CA ALJs look for reasons to find FOR the claimant.

  • Jay

    I live In Ny and want to move to Florida and leave my current job of 4yrs. Would i be eligible?

  • Erik

    I was laid off in Maryland, company told me they wouldn’t appeal unemployment and to file. I had to move to Wisconsin shortly after. Which state should I file unemployment in?

  • Kay

    I moved Pennsylvania in February I’m Commuting by bus to NJ its very costly
    My job is nationwide don’t have office close to me even by bus can I resign and collect while looking for job in Pennsylvania it’s struggle my job isn’t reimbursed me but want me stay cus my job level experience but hard I have teenagers spend lot time traveling I’m read y leave please help

    • If you can prove the job now presents a financial hardship for you, you may – repeat may – have a chance of receiving benefits. Because it was you, not the employer, who created the distance issue, NJ may deny. NJ addresses this issue in the event of an employer move, by saying:

      Q. If a company relocates and offers me a job at the new location, do I have to take it?

      A. If the distance you have to travel to accept this offer of employment creates an undue hardship or the job duties or hours of work significantly change, then you may be able to refuse the new job and receive benefits. A claims examiner will review your reasons for not relocating and determine if you are eligible.

      This is not your situation, but if you can prove you were compelled to move to PA, NJ may grant the claim. No doubt you will initially be denied and need to appeal to get benefits. A two-three month process.

  • Melissa Martin

    Hello, I live in Massachusetts I have been at my job for 18 years. I have to relocate to Florida to be with my family. They need my help. Would I be able to collect unemployment until I find a job? I really am sad about moving but its my family. Thank you for reading my dilemma

    • You can apply on the basis of compelling family need. Issues like these are always subjective and very often denied, initially. You may need to appeal. Before you quit, you need to ask your employer for a leave of absence to care for the sick relative and, if refused, be sure to write in your letter of resignation that you were leaving to care for a sick relative.

      Know that it takes MA a very long time to approve benefits. In your case, you could easily be waiting ten weeks or longer for an initial decision. If you are getting nowhere with MA after four-five weeks, email your elected state representative. Find yours, here:

      Reps are very effective at getting decisions when the states put your case at the bottom of the pile.

  • Grant Caplinger

    I have been working for the same employer for the last fourteen years here in California. Due to financial hardship and cost of living, I need to move out of state to find employment. I have a place to live with my family, just need to find a job. Do I still qualify for unemployment?

  • JG

    I lived and worked in Texas for 7 years, we moved there in 2009 due to my husband’s job at the time, My husband now works a job where he travels 95% of the time. After our children graduated from high school, my husband decided to buy a house out of state (we had been renting while in Texas) where he wanted to put down roots as
    Texas was never the place we wanted to stay. I of course followed him as it is a long long commute back to Texas. I applied for Unemployment and was denied because I quit my job for personal reasons. Well ya, personal being I wanted to keep the family unit together. It just seems unfair that a spouse would be penalized if they follow their husband and or wife when the move to another state, even if it isn’t for a job transfer or Military. I just wanted to know if it’s even worth appealing?

    • No. You are moving from the wrong state. Only 35 states pay trailing spouse, and only 19 of those pay for any job transfer, the other 16 restrict the benefit to military transfers only. Conditions under which these benefits are paid are legislated by state law and paid out of state coffers.

      CA – often a land unto itself – allows a move in your situation to join a spouse – or even fiance when a marriage is ‘imminent’ – who has moved for any reason. In CA, family reconciliation rules without restriction. Texas, for sure, isn’t CA – in many ways.

  • Staci

    I will be quitting my reaching position in August (Illinois) to move to a new state( Mississippi) where my fiancee resides. In what circumstances (if any) would I be eligible to draw unemployment benefits?

    • No. You need to be married for Illinois to pay trailing spouse benefits – and your ‘wife’ would have needed to experience a job transfer. Your situation does not qualify on either criteria.

  • Rachel Christofferson

    I work on the border of ID and WA.

    I first worked in ID with an ID address but with school starting I had to make sure I maintained my WA residency and moved my address to an WA address that is actually my legal permanent residence in WA. Also with the advent of school at the same time I switched to the WA store so that I could continue to get enough hours for healthcare as the ID store could not offer such but then they cut my hours below the threshold for healthcare.

    With the signing of the new tax form with a new WA address and the move from ID to WA. Am I eligible to claim unemployment based on the 6months at the same company but different stores and different addresses. I’ve worked for this company 40 hours a week for 6 months recently for the past month going down to 38 at the new store and recently received news that I will be working 30hours; if so which state do I apply to?

    The state reason for cut backs is slow season.

    • Apply in WA, ask for a combined wage claim in the event wages have been reported to Idaho and WA. Know that generally, 75% of your gross earnings will be deducted from the WA benefit. Further, if your gross earnings equal your WBA+33%+$5, no benefit will be paid.

      The WBA is calculated by averaging your two highest quarters and multiplying by 3.85%, which means if your average quarterly wage is $9,000, your WBA will be $347 and the wage cap will be $466.51, which means if you earn $519 there is no benefit paid.

      Example: If your hourly wage is $17.30×30=$519, you won’t be paid anything b/c $519 is greater than $466.51.

      In most states, a 25% wage reduction is not sufficient to pay a partial benefit.

      But, by all means, apply. If your hours drop further, the claim will be in place to compensate for some of those lost earnings.

  • What reason did the decision letter give for the denial? WA offers trailing spouse benefits in the event of a job transfer, per USDOL:

    To relocate for the employment of spouse or domestic partner that is outside the existing labor market area, provided that the individual remained employed for as long as was reasonable prior to the move.

    Unless you quit your job too far in advance of the move, you should be approved.

    That said, for some reason, some interviewers in many states automatically deny an obviously qualified claimant for these state-mandated benefits. These denials are always overturned at appeal. Provide evidence of your husband’s job relocation, of course.

  • Becky Schroeder

    I worked for a company in Ky for the last three years and we moved to Michigan, My company asked me to work from home there. I have been working from home now for the last three months and now they are letting me go. Am i eligible for unemployment? If so what state do i claim benefits from.

    • The wages in your base period (10/1/2015-9/30/2016) were reported to KY, you apply in Kentucky. You are fortunate. KY maximum benefit is $415 for 26 weeks v. MI @ $362 for 20 weeks. Further, MI has a very punitive partial benefit formula if you work part-time while collecting benefits which causes you to lose an entire week of benefits no matter how little you earn if you claim benefits for that week. You are much better off with a KY claim.

  • LA

    We have lived and worked in MN for 10+ years. We recently moved to Wisconsin in early January, and are temporarily living with family here. My husband just lost his job shortly afterward, due to a restructuring in the organization. We are wondering if we file for unemployment in MN or WI? Do we have the choice of either?

    • So, he lost his job after only a few weeks of employment in Jan. 2017? If that is the case, he has no WI earnings in any database WI will use. Further, MN’s maximum benefit is much higher @ $683/wk. v. WI $370/wk.

      File in MN. MN will investigate the separation – i.e., why did he take the WI job? Did he quit or was he discharged from the MN job? Was the WI job materially better? Be prepared to provide evidence of that.

  • Dee Carr

    I live in South Carolina and work from home for a company in NJ. I was laid off and am unsure of which state to file for unemployment. My paychecks paid NJ Unemployment. I cannot get thru to either state’s unemployment to ask.

    • You apply ONLINE in NJ because of this:

      My paychecks paid NJ Unemployment.

      SC’s benefit is only $326 for 20 weeks v. NJ which is 60% of average weekly wage up to $677/wk. for 26 weeks. You are much better off with a NJ claim and are fortunate your employer was willing to pay the NJ tax. Employer could have got off for a lot less had it reported your wages to SC.

      NJ will want to speak w/you because you are out of state. Nonetheless, get the process going online. And, then, start dialing early a.m. before 8-8:30 a.m. and keep dialing until you get put into a queue.

  • tt

    My job in California laid everyone in my department off, we all qualify for unemployment. However, I’m moving to Georgia and wanted to know if I can still apply for unemployment.

    • Where you live in the United States is irrelevant to your eligibility for unemployment benefits. Your wages are in California, you apply for benefits in California, California pays your benefit no matter where you live.

      You continue to file claims through California on its website and receive deposits on your debit card from California.

      Notify CA of your new address when you have moved. You should be able to do this on their website.

      You perform your work searches in GA and report same to CA when you claim. I believe their online claim form now asks for this information.

      In short, you are not required to live in or search for work in the state which is paying your unemployment benefit.

    • Brandon

      So I’m active duty military stationed in WA, but I claim Alaska as state of residence would I file for unemployment in WA or AK? Also what wages are factored into claim…is it just my base pay or also include bah and bas?

  • Shelly Koshnick

    Good Afternoon,
    In the above question about moving out of state to find work, and will the unemployment benefits continue, does that include Wisconsin? I am not finding anything on their UC website saying that this would be a possibility. Any help with Wisconsin specifically would be a great help.


  • Naomi

    I moved to NJ January of 2016 due to my husband landing a new job but he is now unemployed due to layoffs I had to quit my job in DE as of February 2016 due to the new transition. Can I file for unemployment in DE I was thinking it may be too late at this point either way. But I also was thinking I probably couldnt file because I quit.

    • Quits are not an automatic disqualifier for unemployment benefits. There are many reasons for a good cause quit under which benefits are paid. One is “trailing spouse” – which you are. As of 2010, Delaware was paying benefits in your circumstances. I find no recent information confirming or disputing that.

      Assuming Delaware is still among the 16 states which provides trailing spouse benefits in your situation (any job transfer, not just military), by all means apply. Your reason is to join your spouse in another state.

      Depending on your January earnings, you may still qualify. If you apply now, Delaware will use wages October 1, 2015-September 30, 2016.

      Delaware calculates benefits, as follows:

      To be eligible for benefits, you must have been paid at least thirty-six times your weekly benefit amount by a covered employer in your base period. The amount of your benefit will be 1/46 of your wages in the two highest wage quarters in the base period. However, no one who is eligible for benefits will receive less than $20 or more than $330 a week, if eligible.

      The number of weeks you may receive benefits depends upon your total wages during your entire base period. A worker is entitled to receive a total amount of benefits equal to 50% of their base period wages or twenty-six times their weekly benefit amount, whichever is less.

      Which means if you earned $12,000 over a period of four months, 1/46th of that will provide a weekly benefit of $260, for a period of 23 weeks ($12,000×50%=$6,000/$260=23wks).

      Good luck.

  • Theo Crick

    I resigned from my employer in California on December 18th and got married on December 30th to my wife who moved to Texas 3 months prior. I have moved in with her here in Texas immediately following our marriage but am having difficulty finding employment which is anything close to the position I held in California. Do I qualify to file for unemployment from California?

    • You absolutely qualify for benefits in California. You should have applied immediately in December to preserve a quarter of earnings for a future claim. California recognizes quits when a marriage is imminent, spousal reconciliation, family reunification, etc.

      Apply now, and read this, Section D:

      Call California. State you quit your job and moved to be with your now wife. You should have no problem.

      • Brittaney

        I moved from Oklahoma I worked at Walmart, I moved to Wisconsin and put in for a transfer for the store in Racine WI, it was approved. My store told me I had 30 days to move here and I did, then the store in Racine denied my transfer can I file for unemployment 🤔

        • There are no earned wages in WI to support a claim. Oklahoma also has a much higher maximum benefit.

          File in OK against Walmart – which, via the Racine Walmart – has essentially discharged you. Be sure you have good documentation of company approval for the transfer. Many states won’t pay in circumstances like this but, since the employer in WI and OK is Walmart, you should get benefits.

          Please let us know what happens, here. Thanks.

  • Susan

    Can my husband still receive unemployment here in Idaho while working in California. He had to go to California because he couldn’t find a job here and our bills were piling up. He berly started working but due to the weather in California he hasn’t been working a lot either. So can he still file for unemployment here in Idaho

    • If all his wages between October 1, 2015-September 30, 2016/or Jan-Dec. 2016 were in Idaho and he experienced a job layoff/firing in Idaho, then, yes, he applies for benefits in Idaho – even if he is now looking for work in California. Idaho will investigate his recent CA employment, however, as well as his job loss in Idaho before it approves the claim.

  • Jill N.

    I have been working in California the past 8 years and took a 6 month leave of absence in April and then resigned in October. I think I have a case to support my resignation. However, I moved to Arizona in November due to the cost of living in the Bay Area. Do I apply in California since that is where I was working even though I am now living in Arizona? Thanks!

  • Dorca Ramirez

    I quit my job in Illinois and moved to Florida. I got a job here now need to move back to Illinois, can I collect unemployment benefits in Illinois when I go back?

    • You don’t provide enough information.

      When did you last work in IL?
      How long have you been working in FL – exact dates?
      How did you lose the FL job?
      Why do you have to move back to IL?

      FL only pays $275/wk for 13 weeks and is not a claimant-friendly state. Unless you have a qualifying reason for this quit, FL will consider this a quit without good cause (not the fault of the employer) and will not pay benefits.

      You have no eligibility in Illinois at all – unless you have been discharged from the FL job for a qualifying reason and your tenure at that job was so short there are no FL wages on which to base a claim at this time. Then, possibly, you might be able to collect in Illinois. Again, the reason for the move matters.

  • Kayla lyles

    I’m from Michigan where I had a full-time job and my husband got stationed due to military in another state so I had to quit on good cause to move I filed in Michigan. But they need me to go to a talent Bank there and get some type of verification or paper signed. is there a way to be waived from that due to not living in that state or being able to get up there within 10 days? I move to Maryland if that helps any

  • Ms soon to be ex wife

    I have moved several times to different states and quit my jobs to move with my husband because of his job(non military) I have filed for unemployment because of this before and i was denied because they stated we did not move due to the military . I did not appeal. Most recently we moved to NY. I have worked in NY for 6 months. My husband just asked me for a divorce so i have to move out of state as i cant support myself here with what i make. Can i get unemployment when i quit and move?

    • There are no benefits when you quit without good cause. Getting divorced and moving is not good cause. Your earlier experiences are completely unrelated to your current situation.

      • Ms soon to be ex wife

        i understand they are unrelated. I was just giving some background info. So since i can no longer afford to live here, i have to move out of state to stay with family, that is not good cause to leave a job? I appreciate your help.

        • since i can no longer afford to live here, i have to move out of state to stay with family, that is not good cause to leave a job?

          Not in Georgia. In CA, you might have a chance – as loss of affordable housing is considered good cause. But, CA is not the rest of the US, and certainly bears no resemblance to the conservative/GOP south. So, NO.

          But apply, anyway. You don’t lose anything, and then you will have satisfied yourself that you’ve done everything possible.

          You want to read this:

          Georgia will deny you because your move is for personal reasons and not the fault of the employer. You can appeal, of course. If you should win at appeal, please post back. A win under your circumstances in GA would be newsworthy, to say the least.

  • NM

    We live in MN, my husband moved to CO in October for a job and just signed a lease for an apt. last week. Today he gets a call that he’s fired because they can’t afford him. Does he file unemployment in CO?
    He’s scheduled to fly back next week.

    • He applies in MN. According to the USDOL, quitting to accept other work is qualifying under Minnesota law. So, there is an excellent chance MN will grant benefits under these circumstances, and not require an earnings purge for the quit. This is not the norm in most states. Be sure he is prepared to provide copies of the job offer and the rescission when MN interviews him.

      CO will deny – for two reasons: (1) there are no CO wages in its database; and (2) CO only recognizes a quit for construction workers who are already CO residents. There is no chance for benefits in CO.

  • Jon C.

    I worked a job in Wisconsin for 3 years. I quit to take a new job in Illinois and moved to Illinois. I worked my new job for 2 months and 1 day. I was fired for not being good enough basically. Where do I file for unemployment, Wisconsin or Illinois?

    • If you wait until January, file in Illinois. The benefit is better. Ask for the alternate base period and a combined-wage claim. If you file now, Illinois will deny you as none of your Illinois wages will appear in the base period. See if you can get an Illinois claim. You’ll be better off.

  • Judith Clarke

    I worked for 16 years in New Jersey for the same company. I resigned to take a job in PA which I started Oct. 24, 2016. I was just let go because incoming CEO is bringing his own admin. I still live in NJ…where do I file for benefits? Which rate would I receive? I need help until I find another job. Thank you.

    • Although NJ requires you be on the new job at least eight weeks if you’ve quit your prior employment, try NJ first anyway, as all your wages in any base period used would be in NJ – and you probably have earned enough to purge that quit IF NJ overlooks the 8-week rule. You will need to provide NJ with paystubs from this recent employment as proof of earnings on the off-chance NJ allows you to purge that quit.

      If NJ doesn’t approve you, apply in PA – and ask for a combined-wage claim – which may overcome the lack of PA wages in your base-period. That said, it’s doubtful you will get an approval in PA. PA does not use an alternate base period, so none of your PA wages will appear in your base period until April 2017. On that basis alone, PA probably will deny you.

      Let us know what happens, here. Good luck.

  • Marcus

    I was fired because of a bad “cultural fit”. I was working in New York, have an apartment there, but my wife stayed behind in our home in New Jersey. I worked for the company since June 20th, 2016, can I collect unemployment from New York State? Thanks!

    • You file in the state where you last worked. Call NY. Ask for a combined-wage claim.

      That said, if you have NJ earnings prior to the NY earnings, strongly recommend you try NJ first. The benefit in NJ is so much better (60% of average weekly earnings up to $657/wk. v. $420 in NY), plus NJ has a far more favorable partial benefit allowance should you work while receiving benefits.

  • JS

    I was giving a choice to either go with the separation plan or wait to be supervised with the work if not up to what the manager wants , they would let me go. basically they are suggesting for me to quit voluntarily because of performance reasons. so I went with the separation plan. So i left the job. I moved to NC . I have been looking for a job now for like two years with no luck . so can I get unemployement in NC

    • No. If you have been unemployed for two years, you have no wages remaining in your base period to support an unemployment claim in any state.

      The time to have applied for benefits – REGARDLESS you agreed to the separation – was at the time of the job loss..

      Your quit was COERCED. The actual term for this is a quit in lieu of discharge. You would have qualified for benefits at that time no matter what that employer tried to maneuver you into doing. Poor performance is not grounds for denial of benefits. Any agreement by you not to apply for unemployment benefits is unenforceable.

      It’s way too late now. Chances are you were employed in a state which had decent benefits and paid for 26 weeks or longer. NC is one of the worst states for UE benefits. Max $350/wk for 13 weeks. Difficult and lengthy process to get approval even if you had eligible wages, which you don’t have.

  • susan a brown

    i was fired because i needed time off with no 2 week notice due to a untimely death of my sister i had no warning my employer wouldnt give me tim eoff also i couldnt find directions to a 2 hour position i was severely lost so she fired me 2 unruly reasons i was veryyy dedicated to that job

    • Apply for benefits. You will be initially denied. Employer will cite unscheduled absence and poor performance. Appeal. At the appeal hearing present your case. Time off for death in family and getting lost (poor performance) aren’t disqualifying, generally, but some states can be very difficult. All you can do is try. If you would post this question on your specific state, you would get a more specific response. In CA, on appeal, you’d get benefits for sure. If you’re in one of the southern states, you’ll have to fight.

  • Sandy Hibbard

    I am contemplating moving out of the state of WI for about 3-4 months as I work in the hospitality business which is very slow in the winter. If I work out of WI am I eligible for any UI Benefits from them? I do plan to return to WI to resume employment in the spring.

    • Yes, assuming you are eligible for WI benefits because of the end of this seasonal work, you may move out of state and still receive benefits from WI. Of course, you need to conduct work searches in your new location and provide that information to WI when you file your weekly claims just as you would if you were searching for work in WI.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *